No Brexit Deal advice from UK Government for manufacturers of CE marked products
- 13th September 2018
- Posted by: CML
- Category: News
All manufacturers intending to place products on the UK market on or after 29 March 2019 will want to consider the actions outlined below.
All manufacturers placing products on the EU market will need to take the actions outlined below if they intend to place products on the EU market on or after 29 March 2019
Actions for businesses and other stakeholders
Manufacturers placing products on the UK market should note:
- Products that meet EU requirements can continue to be placed on the UK market without any need for retesting or re-marking, including where they have demonstrated compliance with EU requirements after exit day. This will apply for a time-limited period and sufficient notice will be given to businesses before that period ends.
- Products that meet UK requirements and bear a UK conformity marking can be placed on the UK market, as long as any third-party testing required has been carried out by a UK-recognised conformity assessment body.
- For product areas covered by this notice, UK-based notified bodies will become UK approved bodies after March 2019 and will be listed on a new UK database.
Manufacturers placing products on the EU internal market should note:
- Products which were tested by a UK-based notified body will need to be retested by an EU-recognised conformity assessment body before placing on the EU internal market (A list of EU-recognised conformity assessment bodies can be found on the NANDO database. After March 2019, in a no deal scenario UK-based bodies will no longer be listed on this database).
- Alternatively, manufacturers can seek to arrange for their files to be transferred to an EU-recognised notified body to allow for certificates of conformity issued by a UK-based notified body to continue to be valid.
- In either of the scenarios above, products where third-party testing is required would need to be re-marked with the new EU-recognised notified body’s four-digit number.